Do You Need Planning Permission to Render Your House?

By 19/03/2021Latest News
Do You Need Planning Permission to Render Your House?

Rendering your house is a simple and effective way to refresh its appearance and keep it protected from the elements. However, as with many external home improvements, planning permission is a key consideration.

If you commit a planning breach, you may be forced to undo the work, which can be costly, time consuming and very frustrating. So, do you need planning permission to render your house?

Do I need planning permission to render my house?

In many cases, planning permission is not required to maintain, repair or replace the existing render on your house. This is classed as a permitted development, as long as the materials – in this case the render – have a similar appearance to those originally used on the house.

That means that you typically don’t need planning permission if your house already has render, and you’re using a similar colour. However, it also highlights a number of jobs where planning permission could be required:

  • Re-rendering in a different colour
  • Rendering over brickwork, which was not originally covered
  • Rendering over pebbledash
  • Removing pebbledash and replacing it with render

While planning permission isn’t usually required to apply render, it is a bit of a grey area in truth. As a result, homeowners may want to apply for planning permission for total peace of mind. It’s also worth noting that substantial rendering work will need to comply with building regulations – including the need to insulate walls on the inside or outside as part of the job on many older properties.

Planning permission for conservation areas

Another exception to the permitted development outlined above comes for houses in Conservation Areas, National Parks or Areas of Outstanding National Beauty. According to the Planning Portal for England and Wales, property owners in these areas will need to apply for planning permission before cladding exterior walls with:

  • Stone
  • Artificial stone
  • Pebble dash
  • Render
  • Timber
  • Plastic
  • Tiles

Obtaining planning permission to render your house

Failure to obtain planning permission usually results in a retrospective application. If a breach is found, that can lead to an enforcement notice, which means work will effectively need to be undone on your property.

That’s why it’s always better to be safe than sorry. If you suspect your rendering job falls outside the criteria of a permitted development, you should get in touch with your local authority for advice.

Most planning applications are decided within eight weeks, and something as simple as render is unlikely to cause any complications or delays. According to the online Fee Calculator, householder planning permission, defined as “an application for alteration to/extension of an existing dwelling”, has a fee of £206.

Rendering your house with the best results

Whether it’s a permitted development or you’re applying for planning permission, you’ll want your render to be smooth, durable and long lasting. With Corksol’s exterior wall coating, that’s exactly what you’ll get.

Applying a thin layer of sprayed natural cork to a coat of render, our approved applicators can add water resistance, thermal and noise insulation, and anti-cracking flexibility to your house’s render. Our innovative SprayCork solution can also be used to repair cracked render with a simple overspray.

Want to find out more? Get in touch with us today on 01484 442420 or email Alternatively, you can arrange a quote directly with one of our approved applicators.

Photo credit: WP Rendering and Plastering

Jamie Orr

Author Jamie Orr

More posts by Jamie Orr

Leave a Reply